Convenience Store Security & Loss Prevention Challenges
- Big three: Armed Robbery; Employee Theft; and Shoplifting.
- Employee theft is the greatest profit killer in C-Stores.
- Shoplifting is the second biggest cause of inventory loss.
Convenience Store News Magazine interview by Tammy Mastroberte.
Podcast Time Stamps:
[03:15] — Interview begins with Convenience Store News Magazine.
[03:20] — Big three: Armed Robbery; Employee Theft; and Shoplifting.
[04:25] — 2500 sq.ft. box. It should be easy to control access, and inventory
[06:35] — Four main categories for providing adequate c-store security.
[08:00] — Employee theft is the greatest loss factor for last 40 years.
[12:15] — Dishonest employees learn to bypass technology deterrents.
[15:25] — Detailed shift training, accuracy, and accountability are critical.
[25:00] — Strict cash control at all times is greatest robbery deterrent.
[27:00] — Time delay safe; Drop-safe; Video surveillance with monitor display
[30:00] — Robbers talk about easy targets and best store chains to rob.
Convenience Store Security and Loss Prevention
- Convenience store security store design including crime risk analysis.
- Well-lighted exterior and highly-visible store interior are beneficial.
- Use security hardware and equipment to support design flaws.
- Liberal use of cash policy signs and decals for robbery prevention.
- Hire employees that are honest, capable, and accountable.
- Not all new hires have dexterity, speed, and accuracy for c-stores.
- Train with clearly defined and articulated procedures.
- Insist that every shift employee follows identical procedures.
- Audit some product or procedure every shift, every day.
- Rotate employees to compare shift sales and product movement.
- Convenience store security should be baked-in not layered on top.
- Convenience store loss prevention is a seamless part of a daily routine.
Related Convenience Store Security Links
Learn More about Premises Liability Litigation
Download the book written by Crime School host Chris McGoey.
- Security Expert’s Guide to Premises Liability Litigation.
- Evaluating Crime Foreseeability and Inadequate Security Cases.