Convenience Store Security & Loss Prevention Challenges
- Big three: Armed Robbery; Employee Theft; and Shoplifting.
- Employee theft is the greatest profit killer in C-Stores.
- Shoplifting is the second biggest cause of inventory loss.
Convenience Store News Magazine interview by Tammy Mastroberte.
Podcast Time Stamps:
[03:15] — Interview begins with Convenience Store News Magazine.
[03:20] — Big three: Armed Robbery; Employee Theft; and Shoplifting.
[04:25] — 2500 sq.ft. box. It should be easy to control access, and inventory
[06:35] — Four main categories for providing adequate c-store security.
[08:00] — Employee theft is the greatest loss factor for the last 40 years.
[12:15] — Dishonest employees learn to bypass technology deterrents.
[15:25] — Detailed shift training, accuracy, and accountability are critical.
[25:00] — Strict cash control at all times is the greatest robbery deterrent.
[27:00] — Time delay safe; Drop-safe; Video surveillance with monitor display
[30:00] — Robbers talk about easy targets and the best store chains to rob.
Convenience Store Security and Loss Prevention
- Convenience store security store design including crime risk analysis.
- A well-lighted exterior and highly-visible store interior are beneficial.
- Use security hardware and equipment to support design flaws.
- Liberal use of cash policy signs and decals for robbery prevention.
- Hire employees that are honest, capable, and accountable.
- Not all new hires have the dexterity, speed, and accuracy for c-stores.
- Train with clearly defined and articulated procedures.
- Insist that every shift employee follows identical procedures.
- Audit some product or procedure every shift, every day.
- Rotate employees to compare shift sales and product movement.
- Convenience store security should be baked-in not layered on top.
- Convenience store loss prevention is a seamless part of a daily routine.
Related Convenience Store Security Links
Learn More about Premises Liability Litigation
Download the 115-page eBook written by Security Expert Chris E. McGoey
- Security Expert’s Guide to Premises Liability Litigation
- Evaluating Crime Foreseeability and Inadequate Security Cases
Chris McGoey has authored a tremendous practical guide about premises liability litigation for attorneys, security consultants, risk managers, landlords, law enforcement, and business operators.
“You won’t find a better book on this subject!”
If you’re a trial lawyer, you simply “Must Read This Book”
- 115 pages 8.5 X 11″ — Instant Download (PDF) – Revised 2023.
Copyright © 2009 – 2023 Aegis Books, Inc.
Click the Buy Now button. Pay via PayPal or Credit-Debit Cards
- Online Orders are Secure via PayPal Server
- Unconditional Money-Back Guarantee
Biography of Chris E. McGoey
Testimonials from a few clients