Chris McGoey is an internationally known author, trainer, speaker, licensed private investigator, and professional security consultant.
He testifies as a security expert witness about workplace violence, crime and loss prevention, and premises liability litigation matters.
Chris E. McGoey, CPP, CSP, CPI, ICPS, CAM
Near Los Angeles and San Diego, California
52 Years – Education, Training, Experience
38 Years – Licensed Private Investigator
Certified Professional Security Consultant
8000 Crime Risk Security Assessments
Premises Liability Security Expert Witness
Testified at 500 depositions – 100 trials
Chris McGoey’s biography as a security consultant and security expert witness spans 52 years of education, training, and experience. Throughout his career, he developed effective security plans for internationally known business properties of all sizes, types, and activity levels.
He became an expert on the subjects of workplace violence on business properties and retail loss prevention. He leveraged experience acquired decades ago while developing corporate security plans for SS Kresge, Neiman-Marcus, and 7-Eleven Stores Robbery and Loss Prevention programs throughout the United States.
His unique expertise allows him to specialize in the anticipation, recognition, and assessment of crime risk on most business property types. He consults with business owners, property managers, insurance carriers, and the police to develop security plans to reduce crime risk and make places safe.
Chris McGoey Biography of Education and Training
Chris McGoey has an Associate of Arts degree in Police Science, a Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice Administration, and twelve units of graduate studies in a Master of Science program in the same major.
Chris McGoey has absorbed thousands of hours of specialized training over five decades and has earned 21 professional certifications to support his core competency in specialized industries.
Security Expert Witness Testimony Experience
- Chris McGoey’s biography introduces a highly-acclaimed security expert witness. In 38 years, he has testified over 500 times at deposition and 100 times at trial in State and Federal Courts.
He testifies as a security expert witness in litigation matters involving allegations of crime foreseeability, inadequate security, premises liability, loss prevention, and in security officer negligence matters involving allegations of negligent hiring, training, supervision, misconduct, false arrest, false imprisonment, racial profiling, and excessive use of force.
He is often retained by both the Plaintiff (42%) and Defense firms (58%) as a security consultant or expert witness.
Crime Risk Assessment Experience
Extensive Crime Risk Assessment Experience with Most Property Types
- Security Consultant Chris McGoey has performed over 8000 security assessments on business properties that were concerned about crime.
Chris McGoey biography has broad experience evaluating crime risk and security plans for apartments, condominiums, hotels, motels, public-housing, convenience stores, gas stations, fast-food restaurants, shopping centers, retail stores, banks, ATM Machines, universities, schools, restaurants, bars, nightclubs, office buildings, industrial complex, parking lots, garages, and public parks.
Crime Prevention Experience
Fifty-Two Years of Education Training and Experience in Crime Prevention
- Chris McGoey biography has valuable experience analyzing the cause, effect, and implementing preventive solutions for criminal acts of:
Homicide, Kidnap, Rape, Sexual Assault, Robbery, Stalking, Carjacking, Aggravated Assault, Simple Assault, Battery, Gang Activity, Drug Activity, Assault with Deadly Weapon, Weapons Screening, Residential Burglary, Commercial Burglary, Auto Theft, Auto Burglary, Shoplifting, Grand Theft, Petty theft, Employee Theft, Vandalism, Loitering, Trespassing, Fraud, Identity Theft, Bullying, False Arrest, False Imprisonment, Racial Profiling, Excessive Use of Force, Active Shooter, and Violence in the Workplace.
Chris McGoey is frequently interviewed as a security expert on the subjects of crime foreseeability, crime prevention, retail security, workplace violence, and premises liability litigation.
Chris McGoey is often featured on radio and television shows:
- Good Morning America, 60-Minutes, Dateline, the View, CSI, Dr. Phil Show, CNN, Geraldo Show, Court TV, WABC, When Seconds Count, EXTRA, Inside Edition, the BBC, Talk Radio Europe, China Radio International, and a special investigative report on ABC News 20/20.
Chris McGoey is frequently quoted by newspaper and magazine media:
- New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Miami Herald, Chicago Tribune, Los Angeles Times, San Francisco Chronicle, Washington Examiner, Dallas Moning News, Huffington Post, Time Magazine, Money Magazine, Shopping Centers Today, Convenience Store Decisions, C-Store News, Apartment Units, ASIS Security Management.
Author and Publisher @ Aegis Books Inc.
Chris McGoey has published two books about Premises Liability Litigation entitled:
- Security: Adequate…or Not? – 1990 (available at U.S. Library of Congress)
- Security Expert’s Guide to Premises Liability Litigation – 2009
Chris McGoey’s biography includes publishing over 100 articles, 14 Crime School personal safety videos, Crime School Podcast, and 21 chapters in books written by others.
Chris McGoey and Aegis Books Inc., are researching more how-to books with topics on Apartment Security, Nightclub Security, and Convenience Store Security, which are expected to be available on this website when published.
Professional Licenses & Certifications
Security Expert Chris McGoey has earned 21 professional certifications
- Licensed Private Investigator (PI-11319 – California) – Retired
- Licensed Proprietary Private Security Employer (PSE-228)
- Certified Protection Professional (CPP)
- Certified Security Professional (CSP) – Lifetime Certification
- Certified International Crime Prevention Specialist (ICPS) – Lifetime
- Certified Professional Investigator (CPI) – Lifetime Certification
- Certified Apartment Manager (CAM) – Emeritus Certification
- Certified Private Security Officer Instructor (P-00036)
- Certified Defensive Tactics System Instructor (5231225)
- Certified Instructor – Expandable Baton Defense (100802)
- Certified Instructor – Handcuffing Tactics (222003)
- Certified Instructor – OC Pepper Spray Defense (188003)
- Certified Instructor – Crime Free Business Program
- Certified Instructor – Crime Free Multi-Housing Program
- Certified Instructor – Crime Free Hotel-Motel Program
- Certified Instructor – Crime Free Mini-Storage Program
- Certified Instructor – Crime Free Mobile Housing Program
- Certified Instructor – Crime Free Lifestyles Program
- Certified Instructor – Crime Free Rental Housing Program
- Certified Instructor – Crime Prevention CPTED – (CA-POST)
- Certified Trusted Traveler U.S. Dept of Homeland Security
- Certified Gunshot & Stabbing Wound Life-Saver Trainer
- Certified Life Support for Healthcare Providers, (CPR & AED)
- Certified Universal First Aid
Honors & Awards
- Lifetime Member: California Association of Licensed Investigators (2020).
- Lifetime Honorary Member: First member to receive this award from the International Society of Crime Prevention Practitioners (2020).
- Distinguished Achievement Award: Nominee for an honor bestowed on those individuals who have over an extended period of time contributed an extraordinary amount of time and effort to the California Association of Licensed Investigators and to the betterment of the professions in the investigation or security industries in general (2015).
- Domain Hall of Fame: CrimeDoctor.com website received a Gold Certified ranking for having more consistent visitor traffic than 99% of similar content websites (2013).
- Top Security Guard Training Website: CrimeDoctor.com voted #2 – Top 50 Security Guard Training Websites of the world (2012).
- Lifetime CAM Certification: Awarded lifetime Emeritus status as a Certified Apartment Manager by the National Apartment Association (2011).
- Lifetime Honorary Member: First active member to receive this award from the International Crime Free Association (2011).
- Lifetime Achievement Award: For Support, Dedication, and Achievement in Crime Prevention presented by the International Crime Free Association (2010).
- Advisor to Executive Board: Appointed by the Executive Board of Directors of the International Crime Free Association (2010).
- Community Service Award: In recognition of your assistance and support to law enforcement agencies in Orange County, California (2009).
- Directors Award: In recognition of contribution and support of crime prevention and the commitment to safer communities by the California Crime Prevention Officers’ Association, Region-Five (2009).
- ASIS International Professional Certification Board: In recognition of twenty-five years of dedication to professional excellence as a CPP Certified Protection Professional (2008).
- Quarter Century Club: Elite status awarded by ASIS International for dedication, commitment, and loyalty to the security association for twenty-five years (2008).
- Certificate of Appreciation: Honored by the ASIS International in recognition of significant contribution to the aims and objectives of the society (2008).
- Directors Award: Presented in recognition for contribution and support of crime prevention and the commitment to safer communities by the California Crime Prevention Officers Association, (2007).
- Certificate of Appreciation: Honored by the California Crime Prevention Officer’s Association as the featured crime prevention trainer at the 32nd Annual Training Conference, (2006).
- Directors Special Service Award: Honored by the International Crime Free Association for continuing educational contributions to crime prevention and for website development, (2006).
- Silver Award: Honored by the American Association of Webmasters for recognition in design, style, creativity, and content of the Crime Doctor Website (2005).
- Golden Web Award: Selected by the International Association of Webmasters and Designers as one of the best websites for design and content on the internet, (2003-2004).
- Exemplary Service Award: Honored by the International Crime Free Association at the Fifth Annual International conference in Savannah, (2002).
- ATM Security Judge: Selected as one-of-three global judges to select winning entries in the first international ATM Industry Association crime prevention awards, (2002).
- Directors Award: Presented for valued contribution to the California Association of Licensed Investigators – CALI, (2002).
- Honorary Charter Membership: Special status awarded for on-going educational contributions by the Board of Directors of the International Crime Free Association, (2002).
- ASIS Honor, Honored by the American Society for Industrial Security by publishing my CPP Member Profile on their website and newsletter, (2000).
- Top Web Site Award: presented by Mr. Landlord for the Crime Doctor® web site that was voted one of the top websites in the United States for rental property owners, (1999).
- Distinguished Contributor Award: presented by the American Society for Industrial Security, (1998).
- Library of Congress: Mr. McGoey’s s book, Security Adequate or Not? The Complete Guide to Premises Liability Litigation was reviewed and two copies were accepted to the U.S. Library of Congress Madison Law Library reading room, Washington DC (1990).
- President’s Award for District Governor of the Year, presented by the California Association of Licensed Investigators – CALI, (1987-1988).
- Governors Award for Significant Contribution to Crime Prevention, presented by Governor Robert List, State of Nevada, (1980).
- ASIS International – American Society for Industrial Security
- International Crime Free Association – Lifetime Member
- International Society of Crime Prevention Practitioners – Lifetime Member
- California Association of Licensed Investigators – Lifetime Member
- California Crime Prevention Officers Association
- Crime Prevention Coalition of America
- California Robbery Investigators Association
- Los Angeles Area Organized Retail Crime Association
- Chief Special Agents Association
- National Bar & Restaurant Association
- National Apartment Association – Retired
- California Apartment Association – Retired
- Apartment Association of Greater Inland Empire – Retired
- American Society for Training & Development
- National Association of Internet Broadcasters
- A 109-page resume and fee schedule are available to clients upon request
Learn More about Premises Liability Litigation
Download 113-page eBook written by Security Expert Chris E. McGoey
- Security Expert’s Guide to Premises Liability Litigation
- Evaluating Crime Foreseeability and Inadequate Security Cases