Home Security Alarm Best Practices
- Buy only the home alarm features that you really need.
- Buy the alarm system that you will use every day.
- Buy a quality home alarm system and only cry once.
- Use a local alarm installer for access to service and repairs.
- Interview by Grant Clauser with The Wirecutter.
Podcast Time Stamps:
[01:00] — Misconceptions about home alarm system being burglar-proof.
[03:05] — Interview begins with Grant Clouser at The Wirecutter.
[03:50] — Home Security Alarm is a box with circuit boards and wires.
[06:15] — Alarm sensors monitor every window, door, and interior space.
[10:00] — Quality of alarm components can vary so beware of discounts.
[11:00] — Home security alarm systems have a high false-alarm rate.
[12:30] — Police respond to 95% false alarms. Will issue citations for abuse.
[13:50] — Hire a local good installer that offers repair and maintenance.
[17:25] — How reliable are the inexpensive wireless alarm systems?
[18:30] — How can you evaluate the quality of alarm monitoring services?
[20:45] — Home security alarm component with greatest crime deterrent.
[23:20] — Quality infra-red motion sensors allow walk-testing coverage.
[24:15] — Be an educated consumer to avoid alarm system sales fraud.
Home Security Alarm System Tips
- 60% of burglars will bypass a home with alarm signs.*
- DIY self-installed alarms have a higher false alarm rate.
- Some unsecured wireless systems can be hacked.
- Wireless DIY alarms are the best fit for small apartments.
- Beware of door-to-door alarm system salesmen.
- Many alarm salesmen are not trained as security specialists.
- Read the fine-print in alarm monitoring contracts.
- Make a commitment to use your alarm system every day.
- Keep your emergency phone contact list up to date.
- The use of an alarm system will soon become a habit.
- Periodically test different door and window alarm sensors.
- Call your central station contractor and request a live sensor test.
- Teach your children how to use the home security alarm.
- Ask your alarm contractor to make a periodic system inspection.
* 2012 Alarm Industry Research and Educational Foundation Study
Related Home Security Alarm Podcasts
- Home Security Burglars, Robbers, Safe Rooms
- 10 Reasons Why Burglars Choose Your Home
- Home Invasion Robbery Scotty McCreery American Idol Star
Learn More about Premises Liability Litigation
Download the book written by Crime School host Chris McGoey.
- Security Expert’s Guide to Premises Liability Litigation.
- Evaluating Crime Foreseeability and Inadequate Security Cases.