Home Invasion robbery can strike anyone including American Idol star Scotty McCreery.
- There was a knock on the apartment door at 2:00 am.
- The door was opened and three heavily-armed robbers barged in.
- Robbers took wallets, phones, and electronics totaling $1,600.
- America’s Morning Show host Blair Garner called about the May 2014 home invasion robbery of country singer Scotty McCreery.
Home Invasion Robbery
Country music star Scotty McCreery won the 10th season of American Idol in 2011. At the time of this incident, McCreery was a 20-years old and a student at Raleigh’s North Carolina State University.
According to police, McCreery said he and his friends bought hamburgers and returned to the apartment to eat and watch the movie, Gladiator. Just as the movie was getting good there was a knock on the apartment door at about 2:00 am.
One of the guys who lived in the apartment figured it was just a neighbor. He looked through the peephole in the door. He only saw one guy standing outside the door who wasn’t wearing a mask or gloves, so in his mind, he didn’t look suspicious.
Unbeknownst to them, there were three other men hiding out of view of the peephole. When McCreery’s friend opened the door they barged in with their guns waving.
The first guy in the room had an assault rifle, and he put the muzzle right against the sternum of the guy who opened the door.
The home invasion robber who seemed to be in charge put a pistol to McCreery’s head and another robber pointed a pistol at another guy’s head. “It definitely puts your life in perspective when you’re staring down the barrel of a pistol”, McCreery said.
The home invasion robbers took wallets, cash, phones, and electronics totaling $1,600.
The home invasion robbers made the five students lay face-down on the floor and count to 100 before getting up. Fortunately, No one was hurt.
McCreery Home Invasion Follow-up
Only one 19-year-old home invasion robbery suspect Mikkail Jamal Shaw turned himself in and was arrested.
Do you think McCreery was recognized by the robbers at the restaurant and then followed back to the apartment?
- Witnesses reported that the home invasion robbers ran up the stairs directly to that apartment so it seems likely that it was a targeted home invasion robbery.
- Sometimes home invasion robbers select the victim for who they are, what they’re wearing, or what car they’re driving rather than the location where they live.
Lessons about Home Invasion Robbery
- A group of young male students can feel invincible and not worry about home security
- A young celebrity, like McCreery, must be concerned about being recognized
- McCreery must know who is on the other side of a locked door before opening it
- It’s 2:00 am. You must consider the time of day as a safety factor
- With guns pointed at your head it’s not the time to be heroic, but keep thinking about options for defense
- I think colleges should provide personal security awareness orientation for all new students
- I think colleges should offer basic self-defense classes in the curriculum
Things mentioned in this episode
America’s Morning Show with Blair Garner
Home Invasion article by Chris McGoey
Learn More about Premises Liability Litigation
Download the 115-page eBook written by Security Expert Chris E. McGoey
- Security Expert’s Guide to Premises Liability Litigation
- Evaluating Crime Foreseeability and Inadequate Security Cases
Chris McGoey has authored a tremendous practical guide about premises liability litigation for attorneys, security consultants, risk managers, landlords, law enforcement, and business operators.
“You won’t find a better book on this subject!”
If you’re a trial lawyer, you simply “Must Read This Book”
- 115 pages 8.5 X 11″ — Instant Download (PDF) – Revised 2023.
Copyright © 2009 – 2023 Aegis Books, Inc.
Click the Buy Now button. Pay via PayPal or Credit-Debit Cards
- Online Orders are Secure via PayPal Server
- Unconditional Money-Back Guarantee
Biography of Chris E. McGoey
Testimonials from a few clients