Do armed security guards require more regulation?
- Should there be a national standard for background checks?
- Is there a national clearinghouse for armed security guards?
- Is mental health screening necessary for armed security guards?
- Do armed security guards need more use-of-force training?
Play CNN Hired Guns video then listen to the podcast dialog
Podcast Time Stamps
- [00:40] – Should government create laws for armed security guards
- [01:25] – Armed security officers are not police officers
- [04:10] – Interview with investigative reporter Lisa McCormick begins
- [08:00] – At what level of government should regulations be enacted
- [12:00] – Need for a national armed security guards clearinghouse
- [18:15] – Armed security guards agency is easiest to regulate
- [21:15] – Property owners that hire armed guards are responsible
- [23:00] – Interview follow-up and remarks
Armed Security Guards in the News
Investigative reporter, Lisa McCormick from WDAF-TV in Kansas City called to get my opinion about the need for armed security guards licensing and background checks in Missouri, Kansas, and other states.
Armed Security Guards – Big Questions
- Should Missouri, Kansas, and other states create laws requiring background checks of armed security guards?
- What are the risks of not having screening and training regulations for armed security guards?
- Do I agree that the industry of armed security guards is a haphazard system of lax laws with minimal oversight and almost no accountability?
- Are more hours of scenario training required for armed security guards?
Armed Security Guards – Answers are Complex
- The federal government should only provide a framework for private security guard screening especially the small armed segment of that industry.
- The federal government should assist with coordination of a national clearinghouse for background checks and ease current obstructions
- The state government is good at setting regulations and standards, but not for staying on top of licensing, complaints, and local enforcement.
- Local municipal government is best at enforcement if they consistently under-take the duty statewide and have budget assistance to do so.
- There needs to be a hybrid method of adopting Federal & State standards with local enforcement and oversight without being burdensome.
- We can do better, for example, a licensed manicurist has stricter licensing and training requirements than an armed security guard.
More Resources on this Subject:
- Video source: CNN and Center for Investigative Reporting with Anderson Cooper.
- CNN year-long report on Armed Security Guards called Hired Guns, part-two.
- Related guard licensing story of a shooting death at a Florida nightclub.
- Armed and Dangerous – An illustrated story reads like a graphic novel.
Learn More about Premises Liability Litigation
Download the book written by Crime School host Chris McGoey.
- Security Expert’s Guide to Premises Liability Litigation.
- Evaluating Crime Foreseeability and Inadequate Security Cases.
- Crime School topics are influenced by your input and scenarios.
- We encourage sharing Crime School content on social media.
- Help Crime School grow with a 5-Star Rating & Review on iTunes.
- Thank you for doing your part in making places safe.