ATM Smartphone App Promises Convenience, not Safety.
- Major US banks move towards card-free ATM access.
- ATM Smartphone App replaces the plastic access card.
- Will this make ATM use safer for us or just for the bank?
- Interview by Aaron Smith with CNN Money.
Podcast Time Stamps:
[01:50] — Interview begins with Aaron Smith – CNN Money.
[02:00] — Must log in to ATM Smartphone app to obtain new account code.
[02:12] — Customer must enter 8-digit App code and PIN code into ATM.
[02:59] — Banks are concerned with losses from fraudulent ATM card use.
[03:40] — Physical robbery risk in front of the ATM machine is unchanged.
[04:40] — ATM Smartphone App may give a false sense of security.
ATM Smartphone App – No Personal Safety Features Yet
- Must own an updated smartphone and be tech-savvy to use the App.
- A smartphone App does not lower robbery risk at ATM machines.
- ATM robbers don’t care how you get the machine to spit out cash.
- Need to enter an 8-digit smartphone account code into the ATM keypad.
- Keypad entry errors can cause more delays than the current card system.
- We still need to enter a PIN code when prompted by the ATM machine.
- We still need to view the ATM screen menu to make transaction selections.
- Smartphone App requires you to focus on two devices instead of one.
- Robbers might prefer that you use an ATM Smartphone App.
- ATM robbers can steal your smartphone phone as well as your cash.
- ATM robbers stealing smartphones will inhibit fast 911 call reporting.
ATM Smartphone App Future Opportunities
- It should greatly reduce the risk of fraud losses for the major banks.
- The adoption of NFC* could shorten the time in front of the ATM machine.
- A bio-metric eye scan should reduce keypad or screen interface time.
- NFC and bio-metrics could drastically shorten time at ATM Machines.
* NFC – Near Field Communication – ATM machines will recognize your phone when in close proximity or by tapping an ATM sensor.
Related ATM Smartphone App Articles and Podcasts
- ATM Security – 10 Things ATM Robbers Don’t Want Victims to Know
- Bank ATM Machine Late-Night Use Advice Article
Learn More about Premises Liability Litigation
Download the 115-page eBook written by Security Expert Chris E. McGoey
- Security Expert’s Guide to Premises Liability Litigation
- Evaluating Crime Foreseeability and Inadequate Security Cases
Chris McGoey has authored a tremendous practical guide about premises liability litigation for attorneys, security consultants, risk managers, landlords, law enforcement, and business operators.
“You won’t find a better book on this subject!”
If you’re a trial lawyer, you simply “Must Read This Book”
- 115 pages 8.5 X 11″ — Instant Download (PDF) – Revised 2023.
Copyright © 2009 – 2023 Aegis Books, Inc.
Click the Buy Now button. Pay via PayPal or Credit-Debit Cards
Instant Download $25 –
- Online Orders are Secure via PayPal Server
- Unconditional Money-Back Guarantee
Biography of Chris E. McGoey
Testimonials from a few clients
Premises Liability Litigation Book
Retain Chris as a Security Expert Witness
Chris McGoey Blog Article Index
Contact Security Consultant Chris E. McGoey